October 28, 2013
I started Shipwire in 2006 with a vision to change logistics. Today, we take a quantum leap forward. It’s my privilege to announce that Shipwire has entered into a definitive agreement to be acquired by Ingram Micro. The platform for thousands of rapidly growing multi-channel brands is joining forces with one of the true powerhouses of global distribution.
We have a new home, but our journey is far from over. To accelerate Shipwire, we need a partner that shares our passion for brands. We also need a partner that understands brand distribution, international ecommerce and logistics, and who appreciates our focus on customer experience and technology. With Shipwire structured as a wholly owned subsidiary and Ingram’s scale and support, I can assure you that for a long time to come we will be the multi-channel platform for emerging brands and continue to live by our customer manifesto.
Today, Shipwire is in four countries, helping thousands of brands reach new domestic and overseas markets. We’ve shipped millions of orders to the most demanding buyers in hundreds of countries. We maintain a 2013 order accuracy rate of more than 99.8 percent. To do that, we pioneered the idea of on-demand warehousing, using Web services and modern developer tools to solve the logistics problems of global ecommerce.
Along the way we’ve gotten a lot of help. You, our customers, have kept us humble and focused on our mission of “Enterprise logistics for everyone”. When we’ve made mistakes, you’ve worked with us and helped us learn and grow. In 2007, Meakem Becker Venture Capital invested in our vision, and continued doing so through every part of our journey. In 2011, I had the privilege of welcoming eBay and Newell Rubbermaid into the family as investors. Today, Ingram Micro has thrown their Fortune 100 weight behind our mission to bring Enterprise logistics for everyone®.
Today is a great day for our customers and partners. Ingram will invest in the Shipwire team and our platform vision.
- Expertise – The Shipwire family will be growing, and we will have the help of some of the world’s top logisticians to help us expand our breadth of expertise.
- Passionate people – Behind the platform, the people are staying the same and we’re charging forward with the vision. The Shipwire team will remain united and stay in Silicon Valley. We are adding resources and team members. Shipwire is hiring, if you want to join us.
- Platform focus – Shipwire will remain focused on providing the leading SaaS logistics platform to the global market. We have some great new brand and marketplace features already being incrementally rolled out to our customer base.
- International resources – Shipwire will have access to the resources of one of the largest companies in the world, to scale our team and reach our broader goals.
- Growth and brand distribution – Both Shipwire and Ingram share a vision of helping brands grow sales into new markets and into new distribution channels.
During this holiday shipping season, you can rest assured that Shipwire is investing in the team and platform, to help you scale your sales through 2013 and beyond. Throughout 2013, we have steadily been increasing our Customer Care team members. In 2014, you’ll see this trend continue, plus you’ll see the benefits of additional engineering, product management and design resources.
Here are a few things we’ve done over the past few months to make your holiday a little smoother:
- Expanded our customer care team – From customer advocates to account managers, we’ve been investing in caring, passionate and helpful team members. Our product teams have been enhancing our software so that we solve problems faster.
- Brand delivery experience – You asked, we listened. We have made and are rolling out packing list and email confirmation customization and easier return-address control.
- Emerging business enablement – For brands and entrepreneurs that are new to ecommerce and outsourcing, we launched a dedicated team and “go-live” support paired with an all new guided onboarding software experience.
- More international shipping options – To help you keep costs as low as possible for your buyers, we keep adding carrier options and services where applicable. New to 2013: Hermes in the U.K., DHL Global Mail (U.S. and Hong Kong) and UPS SurePost. We also added finer control over international order routing, selection of uninsurable carrier services and address validation capabilities.
- Application acceleration – Engineering has accelerated some of the platform features you use every day like order rating, reports, and batch order handling.
- Coming soon – Some of you have already gotten a sneak peak of our brand delivery enhancements, redesigned interface, onboarding software and RESTful API developer tools. These are foundational pieces for the next phase of “Enterprise logistics for everyone.”
We know we have to earn your continued business each day. On behalf of the entire team at Shipwire, I want to assure you that this announcement does not change that mandate. However, we will have a whole lot more resources behind us to service you. Thank you for your continued business.
Shipwire Founder and CEO